عَنْ أَبِي رُقَيَّةَ تَمِيمِ بْنِ أَوْسٍ الدَّارِيِّ رَضِيَ اللهُ عَنْهُ أَنَّ النَّبِيَّ صلى الله عليه وسلم قَالَ:“الدِّينُ النَّصِيحَةُ.” قُلْنَا: لِمَنْ؟ قَالَ: “لِلَّهِ، وَلِكِتَابِهِ، وَلِرَسُولِهِ، وَلِأَئِمَّةِ الْمُسْلِمِينَ وَعَامَّتِهِمْ.”
Theme: The religion(Islam) is Naseehah(sincere advice).
On the authority of Tamim Al-Dari (may Allah be pleased with him): The Prophet (peace be upon him) said, “The religion is naseehah (sincerity).” We said, “To whom?” He (peace be upon him) said, “To Allah, His Book, His Messenger, and to the leaders of the Muslims and their common folk.”
-It was related by Imam Muslim.
The Prophet Muhammad(SAW) said in the above hadith that Nasihah and should be given to five categories: to Allah, His Book(the Quran), His Messenger, to the leaders of the community, and the common people.
- Nasihah to Allah(SAW): This means that we should have belief in Allah and not associate anything with Him and we should purify our relationship with Him as much as possible. We should also do what is required of us and sustain from what is prohibited. It also means we must know how to implement the sharia’ah of Allah in our lives.
- Nasihah to Allah’s Book(the Quran): This means that the belief that the Quran is the speech of Allah(swt) and it was sent down as a revelation. We should also know and believe that there is no similarity between the speech of Allah and any other person. We must be pure and sincere in our relationship with the Quran, which also requires us to have respect for it by practicing what we learn from it and keeping silent when it is being recited.
- Nasihah to His Messenger(Prophet Muhammad SAW): Nasihah to the Prophet Muhammad (SAW) means knowing him, understanding his life and the struggles he went through, relating this to our daily lives. Obeying him, rejecting those whom had enemity towards him, honouring him etc, are all important of giving Nasihah to the Prophet.
- Nasihah to the leaders of the muslims: This includes making du’a that Allah guides them, protects them and makes them able to carry out their responsibilities.
Another one is to correct them when they are wrong respectfully, as Abu Bakr(RA) asked of the believers when he was elected as the Caliph. We should also know them, interact with them, get involved with their efforts in a constructive way and not to sit back and criticize them without trying to help them.
- Nasihah to the muslim people: This in general involves giving the muslim people good and beneficial advice, guiding them towards that which will correct their affairs in both this dunya(this life) and the akhira(the next). Nasihah to them involves protecting them from harm, helping them in times of need, providing what is beneficial for them, encouraging them to do good, showing them mercy, and forbidden them from evil with kindness and sincerity.