We should have faith in Allah Almighty in every aspect of life. Below are some steps that can help to deal with depression and anxiety:
1.Ask Allah Almighty (Dua): Turn each anxiety, each fear and each concern into a Dua. Look at it as another reason to submit to Lord and be in prostration, during which you are closest to Allah. Allah Almighty listens and already knows what is in your heart, but He wants you to ask Him for what you want. Our beloved Prophet (SAW) said: “Allah is angry with those who do not ask Him for anything.”(Tirmidhi). We should always ask Allah Almighty no matter to what we are dealing with. He is the only One who can help us.
2.Read Surah Ad Duha: According to one report, after the Prophet (SAW) had begun receiving revelation from Allah Almighty, at one point a long period of time passed with no such communication from Allah. As a result, the Makkans humiliate the Prophet (SAW) due to that he became severely depressed. At that time this chapter was revealed (Quran 93: 1-11). The chapter is a beautiful reminder to us to see life in the greater pattern of things, to be grateful for what we have and to never give up striving for what is right. This chapter of the Quran can be considered a direct recipe from Lord for depression.
3. Remember Allah, Do Dhikr: Keep your tongue busy with the remembrance of Allah that is Dhikr. Remembering Allah comforts your heart and removes your depression and anxiety. Allah says in Holy Quran: “Those who believe, and whose hearts find peace in the remembrance of Allah: for without doubt in the remembrance of Allah do hearts find peace.” (Quran, 13:28)
4. Offer Salah: Those who keep their prayers on time and pray with focus and shyness will find peace. Salahis the great way to reduce stress and depression because a Muslim prays with the intention to connect with His Creator Who is Able to get him through his difficulties. Allah Almighty says in Holy Quran: “O you who believe! Resort to patience and prayer; surely, Allah is with the patient.” (Quran, 2:153)
5. Recite the Holy Quran: Quran is the best form of remembrance Allah Almighty it brings comfort and peace to the heart. Our beloved Prophet (SAW) said: “Quran is the best remedy for the illness of the soul” (Bukhari).
6. Reciting Surah Nas: Consistently reciting Surah Nas will safeguard one from depression and cheer the mood of one who suffers from depression.
7. Seek Help Through Sabr: Being patient gives us control in situations where we feel we have no control. Patience helps us keep our mind and attitude towards our difficulties controlled. Allah says in Holy Quran: “Seek help through Sabr and Salah” (Quran 2:45).
8. Rely on Allah Almighty (Tawakkul): Rely on Allah by constantly remembering Him throughout your day. Once you have established a plan you intend to follow through on to deal with a specific issue or problem in your life, put your trust in the most Wise and the All-Knowing that is Allah Almighty. Allah says in Holy Quran: “When you have taken a decision, put your trust in Allah” (Quran 3: 159).
9. Seek Forgiveness for Your Sins: When one seeks forgiveness of Allah, he/she will be relieved of the anxiety and depression that caused by his sins. Forgiveness brings happiness, so ask forgiveness and also try to forgive others.
10.Don’t Procrastinate: Laziness is one of the most common causes of stress because a person sees that he is not finishing his job. The Prophet (SAW) used to seek refuge in Allah from laziness.
Allah helps those who have belief in Him to overcome depression and anxiety. May Allah helps us to deal with depression and stress. Ameen!
SOURCE: QURAN READING.COM